Today's Sutton ranches owe their beginnings to Edwin Delos Sutton and his sister Kate. In 1883 they staked out adjoining homesteads long the Missouri River. They wily pair built a duplex shanty straddling their tracts and lived on their respective claims as required by law. With this strategy each was able to "prove up" a quarter section.
After Edwin had proved up his 160 acre claim, he solid it and with the capital began a lifetime of buying and selling cattle, horses, and land.
Raymond Sutton Ranch © 2013 All Rights Reserved